Nigerian House of the Future # 1

As part of the new series which has just begun at nigerianarchitecture.blogspot.com, I will be posting entries of what others think should be;

"The Nigerian House of the Future" - unedited AND uncut.

So here's to the first guest post by a poster by the name of "ocho cinco" who posted:

"I always thought the Nigerian House of the future should borrow a lot more from the past

I am no architect, but I think it would be really cool to have a modern rendition of those muddy houses with the thatched roofs. They kept cool during the day and warm at night.

While that might not be practical, on some architectural show about buildings in Africa a while back, I saw the most remarkable building in Ghana. It was at once modern yet fit right into the spirit of the tropics. Shaded by a tropical tree, it was conventionally shaped (read: simple), and it gave the impression of space not the claustrophobia these Nigerian buildings induce. Like a large rectangle floating on a smaller square. Absolutely delightful.

I wish I could get pictures. . ."
Nigerian House of the Future # 1 Nigerian House of the Future # 1 Reviewed by NG on 10/16/2010 07:10:00 pm Rating: 5

No comments:

Which one matters the most to you?

Powered by Blogger.